Search Engine

Wednesday 29 June 2022

Summary of Punctuation Marks


. Full stop / Period ------------ -- I like English.

, Comma -------------------------- I speak English, French and Thai.

; Semi-colon --------------------- I don't often go swimming; I prefer to play tennis.

: Colon ---------------------------- You have two choices: finish the work today or lose the contract.

- Hyphen ------------------------- This is a rather out-of-date book.

_ Dash ---------------------- In each town - London, Paris and Rome - we stayed in youth hostels.

? Question Mark ---------------- Where is Shangrila?

! Exclamation Mark ------------- "Help!" she cried. "I'm drowning!"

/ Oblique/Slash ------------------ Please press your browser's Refresh/Reload button.

" Quotation Marks -------------- "I love you," she said.

' Apostrophe ---------------------- This is John's car.

() Round Brackets -------------- I went to Bangkok (my favourite city) and stayed there for two weeks.

[] Square Brackets ------------- The newspaper reported that the hostages [most of them French] had been released.

... Ellipsis ------------------------ One happy customer wrote: "This is the best program ... that I have ever seen."

No comments:

Post a Comment